The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cilantro Lime Chicken and Black Bean Burritos

I found this recipe on one of the blogs I follow and I adapted it a little to suit my family's tastes.  It calls for canned black beans, but we love my recipe for black beans (that I actually got from a friends' blog many years ago) and the flavors meld really well in the burritos or even just in a bowl with the rice and chicken and extras at the end, so I make my own homemade black beans with it.  Unfortunately, I just add things to taste on the beans, but here goes...

Black Beans:
Beans take a while, so before you do anything, start the beans.  I just use plain ol' Great Value dry black beans in a bag.  I use about half a bag.  You can do a quick soak to soften them, following the directions on the back of the bag, or you can soak the beans overnight, which is what I usually do.  Then rinse them the next day.

After you rinse your beans, set them to boiling in about 6 cups of chicken broth (or 6 cups of water and 6 tsp of chicken bouillon).  Then saute green onion, bell pepper, and carrots all diced up in a little oil.  Sprinkle with cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and garlic salt.  I just pretty much do this to taste and add more as it cooks when I feel it needs it.  I have no idea how much of everything I actually put in.  I also add a splash of OJ to give it a little citrus flavor (start with a small splash, you can add more later if you need to.)

Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, then cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for about 3 hours or until desired tenderness of the beans.  My advice is to keep an eye on your beans.  Many times I have forgotten about them and too much liquid boiled off and we were left with nasty burned beans that we could not eat.  Sometimes you have to add a bit more chicken broth or another splash of OJ to keep enough liquid on your beans.

Cilantro Lime Chicken:
4 medium chicken breasts
3 tsp olive oil
3 tsp cilantro (I used dried, but it probably would be even better with fresh, I just didn't have any.)
3 tsp lime juice from concentrate (or freshly squeezed, but again I didn't have any.)

I just put the chicken breasts in my crockpot with about a cup of water and a tsp of chicken bouillon and let it cook a couple of hours on high until till tender.  Then I pulled out the chicken, shredded it, added the above ingredients, tossed it, and let the flavors meld for a few minutes.

Cilantro Lime Rice:
1 cup uncooked rice
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1 Tbsp cilantro
1 1/2 tsp lime juice from concentrate

Boil rice in water with chicken bouillon, when it is ready mix in the other ingredients.

For the kids, I made burritos on a flour tortilla with a little rice, a little chicken mix, a spoonful of black beans, sour cream to taste, shredded cheese, and lettuce.

Ben doesn't care for rice so he just mixed chicken and black beans with lettuce, sour cream, cheese and salsa.

You could also do guacamole, but I hate it and it just adds more calories, so I never make it.

Enjoy!!  :)




1 comment:

Rachel said...

That sounds SO delish!! I think I will make this very soon!!