The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crawling and Potty-Training

My boys are getting so big! 2 days before Christmas, Sam started crawling and now not only is he speedy fast and chases us wherever we go, but he can also pull himself up to his knees to get to things. He wants so much to pull all the way up to standing and if you hold his hands when he is on his knees, he'll try to get his legs out from under him to stand. When he stands, he gets so excited! He really has good balance already for standing, but he just can't figure out how to get his legs out from under him.

Jackson started walking at 10 months, but I bet that Samson beats that. He is just so determined not to be left out of anything and when he can't keep up with his brother or me, he gets so frustrated.

Jackson and I, meanwhile, have started the potty training porcess. He is not yet 2.5, but he has been showing the signs of being ready, so we started it. I figured he would be ready early because he sees all his friends using the "big boy" potty, and he thinks he is just as big as they all are. So far it is going very well. He is a little intimidated about sitting on the potty and sometimes needs some coaxing, but since Christmas, he has at least gone pee-pee in the big boy potty one or two times a day, everyday. He also gets very excited when he goes potty. He runs around the house exclaiming to everyone, "I went pee-pee in da big boy potty, Daddy/Mama! " Plus, I give him a small handful of flavored marshmallows and a pull-up to wear as a treat for a successful attempt, and he gets excited about that, too.

We are still not at the point where he tells me that he needs to go potty, I just take him in there at the designated potty time in our school day and sometimes after I know he has had something to drink. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but what I'm doing seems to be working so far. If you have any tips or things that have worked for you, please feel free to share.

No comments: