The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.


Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day weekend (Whoo hoo!)

We celebrated Jack's birthday on Friday with a Backyardigans themed party. It was during the school day since our unit last week was birthdays and most of his friends are my preschoolers. We invited a few outside friends, too. I made a Pablo cake and he got really excited. He kept saying, "I want Pablo" because he didn't quite get that it was cake and not a toy for him to play with, but once I cut it up, he got the hang of it. From us, Jackson got a t-ball set, a tricycle, some Living scripture DVDs and a Tyrone beanie baby. He LOVES his tricycle and his Tyrone the best, I think. We gave him the tricycle on Monday night on his actual birthday when Ben got home from the hospital. It was late so he kinda had to open his presents and then go take a bath and go to bed, but the first thing out of his mouth on Tues a.m. was "I wanna ride my BI-sikko, Mama." Literally. The first thing. No good morning. Nothing. Then on Friday I gave him the Tyrone beanie baby with the Backyardigans party and he carried it aroudn all day. He put "Kyrone" in the stroller. "Kyrone shopping." He put Tyrone in his seat in the kitchen. "Ky-rone is HUN-gry, Mama." Tyrone rode his bicycle. Tyrone laid on his side ("Ky-rone is berry tired, Mama.") At naptime he wanted to sleep with Tyrone. It was fun to see him so excited. All summer we have been going to birthday parties and he is starting to get what they are all about, so to watch him realize and get excited that it was his turn was really cute! He loed it when everyone sang happy birthday and on MOnday when we had our own little family party and he opened all his presents, he clapped his hands excitedly and said, "YYEAHHH! Happy Birthday!!!"


Well, I didn't get to go to Tulsa to see my mom like I had planned. On Friday I was so tired after a long week of being a "single mom" since Ben started internal medicine last week, so I decided to finish packing and clean the house on Fri night because Ben's brother and his family were coming to stay in our house while we were gone (Ben went on the annual Labor Day dove hunt). I planned to leave early Sat morning, but when I got up, got the boys fed, and loaded up the car, I realized that the DVD player wasn't working in my car. Jackson is unbearable on long car trips without it, and I wasn't about to take him 5 hours to Tulsa and then 5 hours back with no entertainment and have to deal with what that would mean for me all by myself. No thanks!! I really wanted to see my mom , but I will see her in two weeks when I go to Tulsa to be in the Race for the Cure. (Did I blog that she was rediagnosed with cancer? This time it is in her lungs and a few other places. Although they found it in several places, all the spots are small. She started chemo again about 3 weeks ago.) Plus, if I didn't leave until Sat morning and had to be back by Monday morning (I had so much to do to get ready for this week. one woman show, remember?), it kinda took away the reason I was going - to spend a long weekend with her.

So...at the last minute I decided to go spend the weekend with my aunt and best friend, Sara. She has 2 grandchildren ages 4 and now 1, and Levi's birthday party was this weekend. Jackson loves to go play with Keagan and "Bebi." We had planned on going until I realized that my Tulsa trip and the birthday party were the same weekend. We already had all our stuff in teh car, so we just went to Sara's instead. Sara and I did some shopping and then headed over to the birhtday party.




The next day was Levi's baptism at Suncreek First United Methodist Church in Allen, TX. I really enjoyed what I heard of the sermon. It was basically about not multi-tasking our lives and taking time for Christ. That was a message I always need to be reminded of! Jackson was rotten in church, as usual. At one point, the choir had just finished singing this beautiful song accompanied by a French Horn, and right after when it was so quiet and everyone was just feeling the Spirit, my son yelled out "YYYYEEEAAAAHHHH!" and started clapping. The whole entire congregation started laughing, including me, although I wanted to die! Okay so it was funny, but I took him out shortly after that, as Suncreek has a nursery class during the sermon. I was grateful for that because usually I have Ben next to me to take him out when we are at our church. I was getting tired of wrestling him all through the sermon!

Today Ben and I were both home and he let me sleep in, went to the grocery store with me, made me lunch (burgers on the grill - YUM) and then gave me some time alone to get out and run some errands and do some shopping for myself, which I never get to do alone anymore. It was so nice!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

LOVE the cake! Sounds like fun either way, I'll be praying for your mom.... man what a fighter!!