The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.


Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fun and Sickness


This was actually taken in July, but I thought it was a cute picture of Jack.

Tonight we had a $5 buy-in Texas Hold 'Em tournament at my house with a few friends. We normally don't play for money, but when you play for a pot, people play less aggressively and more serious and it is just more fun. We had a great time laughing and telling stories, and guess what? I won! Since there were 6 of us, I won $30, and we had put together a little basket of goodies, and Ben had the idea to include a certificate for a 30 minute foot massage from the losing partner of the couple for the winning partner, so he now owes me a massage, too! That is the part I am most excited about!! ;)

However, Jackson has been sick since Thursday. He started with a low grade fever and no other symptoms, but overnight he developed a nasty croupy cough. Ben said although he sounds bad, he just has a virus and he has to get better on his own. We kept an eye on him all day yesterday, and did Motrin and cold mist treatments every few hours and this morning he seemed better. It was all we could do to get him to quit running around the house and rest! He didn't take a long nap though because he has a hard time breathing well when he is lying down. Tonight we put him to bed at 8:30, but he woke up at 10:30 and again at 12:45 am right after all our friends left. When Ben listened to his chest the second time, he said he wasn't moving much air, so he decided to take him to the hospital. So here I am, home with Sam, unable to sleep for worry. I know how scary it can be to not be able to breathe as I stuggled with childhood asthma when I was growing up. It breaks my heart, and I am kinda wishing I woke Sam up and went with them now just to be there, but the last thing we need is for Sam to catch something, too. I'm keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't come down with croup, too.

It has been so nice having Ben home so much this weekend. He took care of Jack all night last night and most of this morning, and I only had to get up with Sam (still nursing at night at least once). I even got to sleep in until 10:30, which I needed after a long first week of school. I don't know what I'll do next week if Jack is still sick on Monday. I'll need to keep him away from the other kids since he is contagious, but Mrs. Olivia is still out of town for her daughter's wedding and can't come sub for me. Ben won't be able to help me because he starts his rotation in Internal Medicine on Monday. Plus, Jack's birthday is on Monday, and I was going to throw him a little birthday party during the school day, but I'm not ready for it and I think Jack is too sick for it, so I think I'll wait until Friday.

Anyway, I'm sad that Jack is so sick, but I'm so grateful for the timing of it, that Ben was able to be here and help me know what to do and help me take care of all my responsibilities with a sick kid. He is such a great man and I am grateful for his knowledge and leadership in our family.

No comments: