The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

He's a med student, a daddy and a teacher, who knew?

This week has been filled with sickness in the Blake household. We're still fighting off reactions from that dang chicken pox vaccine. I wish I had just told that mean nurse "No, thank you, ma'am, we'd rather have chicken pox!" Jackson has had an off and on fever of up to 101, and on Wednesday he woke up looking like a leper with a rash all over the trunk of his body. Ben had already left for school when I got Jack up, so I called him and he promptly turned right around and took him to the doctor. What a guy! That made him so behind with studying this week, but that was only the beginning for my super-awesome husband.

On Thursday, I woke up feeling a little iffy. By 9 am, I was sure I was going to physically ill, and boy, was I right! My first thought was that I was pregnant, but the fever and other sypmtoms disproved that theory. I'll spare you the details, but by the end of the day I was dehydrated and exhausted to the point that I couldn't stand. How did I take care of 8 kids while incapacited thus? I just did. I don't know, but what option did I have? When we went outside, I had to quickly corral everyone back in when I knew I was about to be sick. Twice Jackson was throwing a fit for me to hold him right when I had to make a run to the bathroom. I had to squat over the potty, using my knees to balance him, my left arm to hold him and pin his arms back from the target, and take care of business. All the while, I had all the kids sitting in group time with a book, thinking Mrs. Colleen just had to run upstairs for a few minutes, and she'd be right back. Good thing they are well trained and did what I asked them to do. Good kids!

Anyway, I only had to make it until 4ish because Ben came home as soon as he could and saved me! By the time he got there, I was literally crawling across the floor to change diapers, answer the phone, etc. He took over for me with the 4 kids (including my special needs student), plus Jackson and did an awesome job. I stayed in the living room on the couch (off and on) until all the kids left, then I went to bed and slept till 6:45 this morning.

I awoke today feeling weak, but much better and went back to work as usual. But I just want to say I am so grateful for my husband! He never fails to step up and do whatever job is needed of him, even when it something he is uncomfortable with. AND I have learned my lesson...I am not going to procrastinate this anymore: Anybody wanna be on my sub list??? ;)

No comments: