The musings of ME:
SAH mother of 3 kids, spouse of a doctor-in-residency, caretaker and teacher of random children.


Thursday, September 25, 2008

Small Victory

If you aren't up to date with my blog, (Then shame on you - you aren't allowed to have a life outside my blog! ;) then let me recap. I have been caring for a little girl with neuroblastoma for the past 2 weeks or so. One of the many problems that have plagued her as a result of this illness is that she has developed a food aversion because of so many rounds of chemo. She has a central line in her belly that runs to a backpack with a bag of formula inside for her nutrition needs. Her mom has been going to Food Therapy, trying to learn how to get L. to eat, but before she started coming to me, L. was completely disinterested in food of any type.

Since coming to my school and being around the kids, L. is beginning to try things here and there. With her mom's permission, I give her anything she wants if she requests food. One day, she asked for some of my Dr. Pepper, so I cracked open a can for her.

Anyway, I am happy to report that this problem is getting so much better, and today she ate 1/3 of a package of chicken Ramen, 2 bites of a cheese stick from my pizza leftovers, 1 bite of a stick of string cheese, and about a 1/2 cup of milk. I know it doesn't sound like it, but the even greater victory is that SHE asked ME for the food. I didn't suggest it. She came to me and said, "Ms. Colleen, I'm hungry, can I have some noodles?" Normally, if a child gets up during naptime, it means big trouble, but I could have jumped for joy when I heard those words!

The kids continue to pray for her at school, and, according to their parents, at home, too! I am so proud of them all. They are so sweet and encouraging towards her. It can be so easy for kids to shun someone who is different, but they have all helped foster an accepting and supportive environment for her. They are such good examples for me every day. I am grateful to have them around me every day.

1 comment:

I have a good life said...

That is super awesome! How sweet for all the other kids being encouraging